update of package in extras

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun Dec 19 12:20:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:28:44 +0530, Rohan Romanus Almeida wrote:

> HI,
>
> I have a package in Fedora Extras.

Fedora Extras does not exist yet. That means, it is not ready yet in the
form it is planned.  [The package is included in fedora.us and hence was
rebuilt and published in the pre-Extras repository. As a packager for
fedora.us, you would adhere to the documented package submission
policies.]

> I mean, I'm not the
> maintainer, but I'm the original author.

Of the package or the software in the package? Who created the package or
adapted it? He put his e-mail address into the package changelog, didn't
he?

> I'm planning to
> release a new version soon. How does it work in Fedora?
> Does the maintainer magically know? or do I have to
> personally contact her? or post an announce on this list?

Based on this I assume you refer to being the author of the
software. Well, if you don't keep close contact to a packager, most likely
he monitors your release habits, your announcements or mailing-lists (if
any), or visits your website from time to time. Maybe he upgrades his
private working copy as soon as he knows about a new release, but takes
enough time to evaluate it before he pushes out an upgraded package.
Maybe he needs to test dependencies with it, too. Depending on what
software it is, the procedure varies. If you, as a program author, want to
contact a packager, you are free to do so. Either using e-mail or
bugzilla. I would not assume that all packagers are subscribed to
fedora-devel-list.