gnome-vfs2 and howl

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 07:39:44 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I just tried upgrading my version of howl to the latest 0.9.8 by
downloading the source and the current SRPM, replacing the appropriate
lines and recompiling. All went well but the gnome-vfs2 had a
dependancy on libhowl-0.9.6.so.1

So downloaded the SRPM for that to see if it was in there or a compile
time dep. Its seems its the later as the spec file specificly mentions
the >= howl and the associated packages. If I do a 'rpm -q --requires
gnome-vfs2' the specific library is mentioned.

[root at morpheus i386]# rpm -Uvh howl-0.9.8-1.FC3.i386.rpm
howl-devel-0.9.8-1.FC3.i386.rpm howl-libs-0.9.8-1.FC3.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libhowl-0.9.6.so.1 is needed by (installed) gnome-vfs2-2.8.2-8.i386

So my question is should I be able to upgrade howl to a later version
of is gnome-vfs2 dependant on that particular version. If I should be
able to should I bugzilla it? I did a quick search and found a similar
problems with gamin at bug #140679 but nothing specific to howl.

I want a version later than 0.9.6 to fix a problem that shows up in
gnomemeeting 1.2.0. For the moment I have just upgraded with a
--nodeps, not sure what havoc it'll cause with gnome-vf2 but for the
moment aren't actually running X on this box.

Cheers
Pete