k3b on fc3

dragoran dragoran at feuerpokemon.de
Thu Dec 23 17:03:59 UTC 2004

Rex Dieter schrieb:

> Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 08:14:41AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>>
>>> For the record, an "unpatched" k3b-0.11.18 (with k3bsetup) *should*
>>> work just fine on FC3, provided you use a kernel that actually
>>> suports cd burning (ie, not kernel-2.6.8(.1) ).  See also:
>>> http://www.k3b.org/ "Latest News" items:
>>> "Update on the kernel 2.6.9 issue"
>>> "Do not use Kernel 2.6.8"
>>

>> Actually, I'm running 2.6.9-1.681_FC3, and I still have said problems.
>

> You seem to be experiencing a different issue, as burning works for
> most folks (incuding me) now.  Those problems I referred to from
> k3b.org's website affected *everyone*.
>
> -- Rex

"

  Update on the kernel 2.6.9 issue

I finally did some testing and gathered some information on the kernel
2.6.9 problem. Here is what I can tell you:

    * Cdrecord won't run anymore when configured suid root. The reason
      is that the new kernel forbids suid root programs to use the SCSI
      subsystem (or something like that, correct me if I am wrong :)
      So Cdrecord needs to be configured without suid root and the next
      version of K3bSetup will do that.
      Cdrdao does not have this problem. I think that's becasue it drops
      the root privileges in an earlier stage but I am not sure about that.
    * K3b is unable to properly handle external (USB, Firewire) devices
      on the new kernel. Whenever the tray is open it will not be
      recognized as a CD/DVD device and if K3b is trying to access it
      while the tray is open it will get strange wrong answers from the
      device.
      I don't know how to solve this. Evenmore I think I cannot solve it
      since the dvd+rw-tools have the exact same problem. Hopefully this
      will be fixed in a future kernel version.

So what does that mean for you? Well, you have to decide for yourselves.
Since I have multiple external DVD devices I still stick to kernel 2.6.7
since otherwise I would always have to make sure the tray is not open
when starting K3b and trying to burn something. But if you don't have
any external devices and configure cdrecord properly using kernel 2.6.9
should be no problem.

*Update:* This issue seems to be related to SCSI devices rather than
just external."