rpmbuild of dovecot fails on my machine

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Wed Dec 29 15:06:51 UTC 2004

I'm trying to rebuild a dovecot rpm here from dovecot-0.99.11-7.devel.src.rpm
(don't want to get into "why" as that would only be a distraction at this
time), and it fails:

+ rm -f ./configure
+ aclocal
configure.in:279: warning: underquoted definition of AC_TYPEOF
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
configure.in:504: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECKTYPE2
aclocal:configure.in:15: warning: macro `AM_ICONV' not found in library
configure.in:13: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM invoked multiple times
+ automake -a
configure.in:13: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM invoked multiple times
src/auth/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
+ autoconf
configure.in:13: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM invoked multiple times
configure.in:15: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ICONV
      See the Autoconf documentation.

So something isn't quite right (read not the same as in the fc build
environment) with my autoconfig setup, I guess. This is on a FC3 system.
Rebuilding the FC3 dovecot rpm fails in the same way. Is anyone with autoconf
experience able to suggest a course of action for me?

Thanks, Willem Riede.