"vanilla" kernel closest to Fedora kernel

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Dec 31 19:53:55 UTC 2004

I normally try and use the distribution-provided kernel for pretty much
everything, because it's simpler this way. But sometimes it's just not
possible. E.g., for some DVB cards, one needs a vanilla kernel, patched.

So here's my question: what is the best way to configure a vanilla
kernel so that it is as close to the Fedora kernel as possible?
I was thinking to just get the .config file used to generate the Fedora
kernel and use it to configure/make the vanilla kernel and let the
kernel build system deal with the differences.

Is that a good approach? I don't need a perfect match (indeed, it is not
possible), but just a reasonable closeness.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/