Nautilus toolbars

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Feb 1 13:18:39 UTC 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:

>> This is now correct behaviour.  Nautilus is no longer going to mimic a
>> web browser but instead to return to the old way where each directory
>> opens a new window.
>
>How annoying, reminds me of old MS-Windows versions... Is it possible to
>revert this to the original behavior where it is opened in the same
>window? As far as I can tell there is nothing in the preferences menu to
>get the old way, sadly.
>
>Anyone who can tell me the idea behind open directories in new windows?
>Personally I think opening new directories in the same window is
>superior, just like tabbed browsing in web browsers. Is there a gconf
>key or something?

I agree, that would be incredibly annoying.  I'm not a
tonnes-of-windows kind of guy myself.  I'm probably not the
target user of nautilus either though, but then I don't use it at
all because I can't do what I need to do in it.  It's nice for
beginners though.

I recommend using Midnight Commander (mc) in a konsole shell
instead for more advanced functionality.  Works great, plus if
it's your regular filemanager, you can use it over a network
easily also as a one-size-fits-all solution.  Not sure what
running nautilus over CIPE over the internet would be like, but I
don't think it'd be fun.  ;o)