Pentium 4

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 3 12:13:39 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 03.02.2004 schrieb Gerhard Prade um 02:38:
> Hello,
>
> i am not a developer, but have a question. I tried last time
> Gentoo-Linux and i think it is great to optimize a hole distribution of
> linux for a CPU-Achitcture (like Pentium 4 and not only for 386).
> But Gentoo is for me not easy to use. So i want to use in future fedora,
> like i do now.
> Now my question. It is posible to optimize one of the next releases of
> fedora for 686 CPU or greater like Pentium 4?
>
> Thanks all, Gerhard
>
> PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Hi Gerhard!

One of the main reasons Gentoo users claim for their system is the
performance boost by optimized compilations for their platform. But if
you look at the official Gentoo benchmark page - first official attempt
to make the subjective user's impression of performance gains countable,
other comparison charts are to be found using google - you will see that
the most significant improvement comes from prelinking. That is my
impression from the data on

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/performance.xml

See yourself. The other speed values are on a level where I suspect you
will not feel any difference in general. Fedora uses prelinking.

Regards

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 13:04:50 up 3 days, 12:05, load average: 0.12, 0.24, 0.20
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]