RFC: X library package changes, dependancy changes, freedesktop.org xlibs, etc.

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Feb 7 12:17:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

>On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 03:27:52AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> Thanks again for the feedback!
>
>Sounds good to me. I'd love per chipset packaging so that for
>example XFree86-ati-radeon-blah contained the radeon driver, dri .so and
>related bits, but that I can see is a good deal harder to get right

That is something I definitely want to do in the future also.
The XFree86-sdk subpackage was created with the intent to enable
experimentation on splitting out drivers in the future.  Paul
Nasrat made some proof-of-concept rpms of the ati driver, vga
driver, and a few others a while back.

The biggest problem with split out drivers is our config tools
need to be modified to deal with multiple packages, and I need a
way of knowing wether someone is using an official driver we
supplied or not easily.  If someone uses a self built driver, I
need a way of knowing that, so I don't waste a bunch of time on a
bogus bug report.  Of course that can and does happen now
already, but it's rarer because it's not as simple as just
upgrading an rpm from the command line.

XFree86 needs something akin to the kernel's tainting flags, and
having Red Hat signed modules.

Also, the driver rpms should have a metadata file included with
them which is essentially like a Windows .INF file, which drops
into a predefined /usr/share/something dir and informs our
config tools what hardware this new driver supports, etc.
Basically a modularized replacement for the ancient Cards
database, and pcitable, where that information is now stored in a
metadata file accompanying the driver.

That way, a user could install/upgrade a driver, and the config
tool would know right away what is supported, without having to
force us to go edit hwdata database files, and update that
package too, etc.

It's been on my mind for quite some time and I wrote up a
functional spec on a design a while back, but haven't worked on
it for a while.  I'll need to revive that, and post it somewhere
for feedback in the future.

Thanks,
TTYL