mplayer vs. xine

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Feb 1 15:25:21 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 04:25:45PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> These are what I called technical restrictions on redistribution.  If
> livna.org is willing to run afoul of patents and the DMCA to distribute
> libdvdcss, it's hard to believe they'd balk at violating these.  But I'll ask.

DMCA is a US disease as are most of the patents. Ignoring stupid US regulation
outside the USA is *NOT* the same kind of thing as violating contracts or
copyrights.

> > 4. About the codecs, I find it _very_ hard to believe that Microsoft for
> > one would be OK with redistributing Windows Media binary dlls?
>
> Do the terms on their site say you can't pass around copies of the
> zipfile?  I don't think so...

Do they say you can ? You need permission for the act of copying when
you duplicate the copy. You may be able to download 50,000 copies from
microsoft.com and give them to 50000 people but thats different