meta-repository idea (was Re: mplayer vs. xine)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Sun Feb 1 20:04:16 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 21:39, seth vidal wrote:
> > Apt supports "meta-repositories" but only within a single server so it's
> > not really what you're asking for. Something like this could be done in
> > the mirror-selector (in fedora.us apt) but more generally support for
> > this could be included in the common repository metadata system.
>
> Maybe we should start taking some of the things I've heard and compiling
> ideas for a ver 2. of the metadata stuff?

Sure. If the items aren't collected as they come up they get forgotten
and we need to reinvite them sometime later :)

> things I've heard so far:
> - common format for repository information

I suppose this covers things like mirror information? If not that should
be added separately.

> - meta-repositories (or repository groups)
> - common group format

Yep.. hmm.. I think I had some other ideas as well but can't remember
now/anymore :-/

	- Panu -