Prelink hosed my binaries?

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 05:10:41 UTC 2004

Steve Bergman wrote:
> Anyone else wake up to a totally hosed system this morning?  A
> substantial portion of my binaries (including bash) are wrecked and show
> up as "data" when I use the "file" command on them. No ELF header at
> all.

Haven't seen this nor heard from it.  When updating your system, please
keep the old prelink and elfutils binaries around and try to reproduce
the problem.  Jakub isn't available this week so this data would need to
be preserved.  Compare the prelink binary itself, has it changed?
prelink itself shouldn't have this effect but if prelink itself is
corrupted...