Corporate pressure

Josiah Royse JROYSE at SYGMAnetwork.com
Mon Feb 2 14:49:03 UTC 2004

> "I Agree", "OK" etc. I think it would be better to prompt for OK the
> first time a programm is started, so that you could install, and
update
> it without any problems and agree to their terms before you can use
it.
> Adobe uses this techinque in their SVG-Plugin for Mozilla an I think
it
> is a good way to manage it.

Yes, "click wrapping" sounds like a great compromise to programs that
seek user licenses.  Would wrapping proprietary plugins/applications
with a click-license that checks the user's ~/.dotfile for license
acceptance be a semi-legal way to "redistribute" these types of
proprietary software?  Could this be also be interpreted as a peace
offering- having a simple way of respecting legal acceptance documents
without having an interactive installation?  In doing so, the open
source software movement may motivate companies to change alter license
agreements to allow redistribution, if there was a standard or easy way
of prompting for user license acceptance.

--Josiah, RHCE