HD spinning is making the computer freeze

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 08:14:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:

>Also I noticed that X use an aweful lot of RAM, is this normal? I'm
>running KDE btw.
>
>  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME CPU
>COMMAND
> 3750 root      15   0  413M 131M 67704 S     0.5 54.9   5:48   0 X

"X is using an enormous amount of RAM, is it broken?  Is it
memory leaking?" is a very frequently asked question that comes
up way too often.  Rather than get into the detailed answer,
which is preserved all over google, and on mailing list archives
for years, the short answer is:  No.

The longer answer is:  Download a copy of "xrestop", findable
with google, and use it to find the broken applications which are
leaking pixmaps or other X resources.

More of a fedora-list question than a development related one
though.