Pentium 4

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Tue Feb 3 10:44:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:38:47 +0100
Gerhard Prade <gerhard.prade at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i am not a developer, but have a question. I tried last time
> Gentoo-Linux and i think it is great to optimize a hole distribution of
> linux for a CPU-Achitcture (like Pentium 4 and not only for 386).
> But Gentoo is for me not easy to use. So i want to use in future fedora,
> like i do now.
> Now my question. It is posible to optimize one of the next releases of
> fedora for 686 CPU or greater like Pentium 4?
>
> Thanks all, Gerhard
>
> PS: Sorry for my bad english.
>

> --

This has been discussed several times, A quick search pulls up:
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-June/msg00686.html

In short it says the benifit is slight or unnoticable with the exception
of a few packages. kernel, glibc and SSL. If it is that big of a deal to you
options can be set in ~/.rpmrc and you can rebuild those 1 or two packages
yourself with little problem.