Pentium 4

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 11:16:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:14:05PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> KDE performs poorly when large amounts of text are in a window, EG when kmail
> displays a message with a few megs of text.  I've seen the same operations
> run faster on other GUI software on 386 machines than kmail runs on P3
> machines!

This is an X server problem in part. You also need to be sure to compare what
the apps are doing - there is a cost to rendering antialiased text for
zillions of languages for example. If you switch your X server to unaccelerated
and turn on shadowfb your fonts probably go a lot quicker at the moment btw.

(Software render implementation has some design issues, XFree86 DDX lacks
 DMA 'get rectangle', and most servers still lack hardware render acceleration)

> Maybe we should create a list of programs who's performance is an issue for
> Fedora so that interested people can start investigating them?

Like "why does glibc's internationalisation post install script use 120Mb ?"

I think that is my favourite right now.