User Linux

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 11:31:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 01:36:56PM +0900, Naoki wrote:
> http://userlinux.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?White_Paper
>
> What do you guys think?  Especially about the "RedHat's Proposal"
> section?

When we kicked Fedora around early on one question was "should we just
work with Debian". We decided not to because the users of Fedora wanted
regularly releases and leading edge code. Also because a lot of them
wanted something leading the project they trusted.

There are still some things that have taken far too long to get sorted I'll
freely admit - like the external CVS.

<opinion owner="me">

As to unequal partnerships well

1.	Last time I checked RH employees got told to do things like fix
	packages they hate and turn up in the office, or actually do
	work. Fedora.us contributors don't seem to. So I fail to see
	the connection.

2.	Anyone who likes Fedora and doesn't like the control of it can
	simply create a copy of it with a new name and go do their own
	thing. Same with RHEL - white box linux for example. The free
	software licenses grant that not some magic Debian or other
	property.

We didn't set out to achieve what Debian has, we set out to build something
cool, current and with regular releases. Something that was at its heart
like the old Red Hat releases with regular updates, and people making
CD's as they wanted.

Our first release was on time and up to date, which illustrates two reasons
why using Debian wouldn't have achieved the Fedora goals.

UserLinux might well be a useful project, its just unfortunate that Bruce
has no better ways to attempt to raise interest than to rubbish unrelated
projects.

Alan
<speaking without hat on 8) />
</opinion>