How to debug crash on laptop with no serial port

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Tue Feb 3 14:58:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:54:44AM +0000, Denis Hennessy wrote:
> I'm trying fedora on an IBM X31 laptop which has no native serial
> port*.  I've tried various kernels including 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl,
> 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl and 2.6.1-1.53. After running for somewhere between 3
> hours and 2 days, the machine will lock up hard. X will freeze and
> nothing short of a power cycle will get any response. Sometime, the caps
> lock light will be flashing.

If your laptop is generally sitting on a network, you can try netconsole,
assuming that the NIC is in the supported list.

See this document for info:

http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/netdump/

Also note that RHEL3 comes with a crash dump analyzer; you can find the
source RPM here:

ftp://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash-3.7-5.2.src.rpm

Name        : crash                        Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 3.7                               Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 5.2                           Build Date: Fri 09 Jan 2004 09:36:15 AM EST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: anderson
Group       : Development/Debuggers         Source RPM: (none)
Size        : 15991483                         License: GPL
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com>
URL         : ftp://people.redhat.com/anderson/crash-3.7-5.2.tar.gz
Summary     : crash utility for live systems and netdump, LKCD or mcore dumpfiles
Description :
The core analysis suite is a self-contained tool that can be used to
investigate either live systems, kernel core dumps created from the
netdump package from Red Hat Linux, the mcore kernel patch offered by
Mission Critical Linux, or the LKCD kernel patch.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky