Sound in rawhide

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Thu Feb 5 23:19:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 17:40, Dax Kelson wrote:

> ALSA defaults to muted.
>
> Run alsamixer and see if you have "MM" at the top of the "Master" or

No dice.  I'm having the same problem and running alsamixer yields the
following message:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

FWIW, clicking on the volume applet in my gnome panel gives a "Couldn't
open mixer device /dev/sound/mixer" and sure enough, there is no
/dev/sound/mixer device file.  Do I need an updated dev package?  Need
to create the node manually?  Are my modprobe.conf settings correct?

Relevant lines of /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-ymfpci
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 &&
/bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator