LVM1 to LVM2 plans for FC2

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Fri Feb 6 17:26:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:37:56PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2004, Paul Jakma <paul at clubi.ie> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> >> It just works, with some help from device-mapper.
>
> > Any plans for FC1? I tried to upgrade an FC1 box to 2.6 + LVM2 using
> > Arjan's sources, but it was impossible. For a start his lvm2 packages
> > conflict with the regular lvm package.
>
> Only the man-pages do conflict.  Installing with say --replacefiles
> works around this problem.

The updated lvm package at Arjan's site has the man pages omitted, hence
no conflict if one upgrades to that version.

http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/RPMS.kernel/lvm-1.0.3-17.i386.rpm

See:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg00158.html

I think I covered the required steps in the first half of that email.
There are one or two small thinkos (namely dm-mod.o -> dm-mod.ko, and
lvm.c should not be included in file glob in the discussion of patching
in device-mapper.)

If you want to boot back and forth between 2.4 and 2.5, you'll have to
hack up rc.sysinit or use device-mapper on 2.4.  Rather than rc.sysinit
trying to find the device file for the root filesystem on the root
filesystem, it would seem to make more sense to defer unmounting /initrd,
and use the device file there instead to do the fsck.  I haven't bothered
to create that patch, but it should be is pretty straightforward.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky