rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Tim Daly daly at rio.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Fri Feb 6 18:44:29 UTC 2004

>Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>
>> fedora.us IS EXTRAS, and it is already a given that those packages
>> will be moved to Fedora Extras at fedora.redhat.com when the time
>> comes.
>
>Won't this mean that (i) such packages will only show up weeks after
>the ISOs of the main project are available, and (ii) you won't be able
>to install them from CDs, without having to download the same packages
>over and over for installation in a collection of machines, or for
>CD burning in a network-connected location followed by installation in
>a disconnected location?
>
>Not everybody is on-line all the time.  I think if we're to move
>important packages to Fedora Extras, Fedora Extras releases should be
>coordinated with Fedora Core, and should be available as ISOs that,
>ideally, anaconda and/or system-config-packages could use.

The KEY reason I use RedHat is that it is packaged as ISOs.  Almost
all of the distros assume you have net access.  I have a compile farm
with many distros installed and only RedHat is painless. I can't use
apt-get from the farm.  Plus I give RedHats to others easily which is
why everyone around me runs it as they get it from me.