Spec file help

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Fri Feb 6 22:12:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 21:27:23 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:

> url: http://www.suretecsystems.com/docs/netmon_applet.spec

Only skimmed over the spec without knowing the applet. A few errors in
there in addition to what Karsten Hopp has mentioned already:

> %prep
> rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

Move the rm -rf line at the beginning of %install. It's there where you
want the buildroot to be cleared (e.g. so consecutive short-circuit
installs would work).

> make

make %{?_smp_mflags}

E.g. to make the fedora.us build people happy.

> %post -p /sbin/ldconfig
> export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source`

This won't work and will not execute the script, because "-p
/sbin/ldconfig" makes ldconfig the script interpreter.

  %post
  /sbin/ldconfig
  export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source`

After seeing the %files list, I would say you don't run ldconfig at all,
since your package doesn't add any libraries to directories mentioned in
ld.so.conf.

> %postun -p /sbin/ldconfig

Same here. Not needed. Instead, with Fedora Core 1, gconftool-2
has a --makefile-uninstall-rule, too.

With regard to the explicit dependencies,

> Requires  : gnome-panel >= 0:2.0.0
> Requires  : gtk2 >= 0:2.0.0
> Requires  : libgnomeui >= 0:2.0.0

are any these not covered automatically already in "rpm -qR package"?

> BuildRequires  : pkgconfig >= 0:0.10.0

First version of pkgconfig included within Red Hat Linux 7.1 is
Epoch 1 already.