Spec file help

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Fri Feb 6 22:14:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:39:46 +0100, Karsten Hopp wrote:

> A few comments:
>
> > Source0        : http://www.demonseed.net/~jp/code/netmon_applet/netmon_applet-0.4.tar.gz
> It's better to use %{version} here. Otherwise you'd have to change the version
> at two places when you update to p.e. 0.5

... which shouldn't be a problem, because else the package would not
build. ;)

As long as just %{version} is used, fine. But if more download path
components are replaced with macros, e.g.

  http://www.demonseed.net/~jp/code/%{name}/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz

package reviewers will need extra time to reconstruct the URL before
they could download the upstream tarball. So, it's not generally
"better" to use %{version} here, it's just another option for the
packager. I consider it better to let URLs stay URLs which can be
copied and passed on to e.g. wget or curl.