RFC: X library package changes, dependancy changes, freedesktop.org xlibs, etc.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Feb 9 11:58:53 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com> said:
> Unlike the kernel, which doesn't have a stable binary module ABI,
> the X server does, so there's no reason why driver modules can't
> be packaged separately and updated individually as the need
> arises.

How would you actually do this?  For example, if you did this today, all
the packages would come from the same source RPM.  So, an update to one
driver would require a rebuild that would bump the release number for
all packages (and running up2date or yum would want to fetch all the
updated packages).

Or will you break up the XFree86 source tree into separate drivers?
Will that work?   Last time I built XFree86, which was a long time ago,
there were a lot of inter-dependencies, so building just one thing was
non-trivial.

Isn't this the way XFree86 3.x releases were packaged (i.e. a bunch of
hardware-specific packages all with the same version-release built from
the same source RPM)?

Unless you break up the source (so XFree86-ATI-1.2.3-5.i686.rpm and
XFree86-nVidia-0.1-1.i386.rpm can exist and be built from separate
.src.rpm packages), I don't see this as being a big win.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>