I noticed that kudzu doesn't config OSS emulation is this meant to be?

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Mon Feb 9 16:40:15 UTC 2004

> Kristof vansant (de_lupus at pandora.be) said:
> > I noticed that kudzu doesn't configure OSS emulation is this meant to
> > be?
>
> It's already in the modprobe.conf.dist file.
>
> Bill

One a system I just built from scratch a week ago from Rawhide, I
noticed that the /etc/modprobe.conf didn't have the include for
modprobe.conf.dist.  Happened to notice it when OSS wasn't working for
an app.  Didn't look into it any further to find out why.   In looking
at the postinstall for modutils, I have this section:

if [ -f /etc/modules.conf -a ! -f /etc/modprobe.conf ] ; then
   echo "# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to
modules.conf!" >/etc/modprobe.conf
   echo "include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
   /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf --stdin < /etc/modules.conf >> /etc/
modprobe.conf 2>/dev/null
   chmod 644 /etc/modprobe.conf
   echo "# Note: for use under 2.6, changes must also be made to
modprobe.conf!" >> /etc/modules.conf
fi

Does Anaconda create /etc/modprobe.conf based on what it detects before
modutils is installed?  If so, it may have/probably failed to put the
'include' statement and modutils didn't add it because modprobe.conf
already existed.

Just a thought.

--
David T Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>