I noticed that kudzu doesn't config OSS emulation is this meant to be?

Jim Cornette cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Feb 10 02:12:40 UTC 2004

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Kristof vansant (de_lupus at pandora.be) said:
>
>>I noticed that kudzu doesn't configure OSS emulation is this meant to
>>be?
>

> It's already in the modprobe.conf.dist file.
>
> Bill

They are in this file. My sound did not work though until I added them
to the /etc/modprobe.conf file. I didn't have usb either until I added
the below to the file. (This is a development install from early January)

include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 3c59x
alias eth2 ne2k-pci
alias usbdevfs usbcore
alias usb-uhci uhci-hcd
alias usb-ohci ohci-hcd
alias uhci uhci-hcd
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

The below line in the file is cryptic to me. I guess it probes the entry
for sound-slot-0 and tries to do something with the audio mixer. I don't
know the answer though.

install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 &&
/bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

I took the entries out of my /etc/rc.local file and rebooted and got
sound with these added entries. For usb, I forgot to add usbcore and
modprobed usbcore after the system was up.

Also, reading the entries of the /etc/modprobe.conf.dist file, I got the
impression that it was some sort of a 2.4 to 2.6 modules cross-reference
index. If this isn't the purpose of the file and there is no
cross-reference index for 2.4 to 2.6 kernel module name changes, there
should be and maybe easier conversion from 2.6 configurations to 2.4
kernel configurations could be achieved.

Just comments. I hope they are constructive.

Jim