I was wondering why fedora has choosen yum over apt-get

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 10 23:49:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 07:41:12PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2004, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Far fewer files are downloaded for headers, meaning more efficient
> > data compression and faster header downloading.
>
> Unless I misunderstand, the one gotcha is the common case of a small
> changes in a large repositories requiring the entire set of (single
> file) header information to be downloaded.  This *could* become a
> bandwidth problem, not only for people in the wrong ends of small
> pipes, but also for servers, since rhn-applet would probably keep on
> fetching it over and over (at least every time it changes).

This could be accomplished by an incremental approach. In a two file
scenario there could be a weekly updated base file and file with up to
date differences to that. Every week the latter file gets merged to
the weekly file and is resetted to 0 length. That way the large
bandwidth consumption happens only once a week and you have only two
files to check for downloading. Add more tiers for adjusting the
development/update pace.

I only don't know how well the xml metadata diff file could remove
entries from the base file (or the higher tier), but I think it would
be doable.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de