Compiling Fedora... athlon

Kir Kolyshkin kir at darnet.ru
Wed Feb 11 20:43:09 UTC 2004

Jay Turner wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 02:43:00PM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
>

>>Speaking of which, it would be nice if bugzilla supported filing bugs
>>that relate to more than one component. That's one of the reasons
>>I prefer mail as the means of communication. Bugzilla's just a dumb
>>machine, and I much prefer to deal with a human that understands that
>>bugs are often related. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. And how can
>>I file a bug which does not relate to one of those components, but
>>something more general? (like the fact that fedora menus are a mess)
>>How can I file a bug whose component I do not know ... if something
>>broke in gnome, I know it's broken, and I have no idea which component
>>is responsible...
>>

>There's a component called "distribution" where you can log general
>distribution bugs.  As for not knowing the particular component which a bug
>resides in, make an educated guess and the developers will generally sort
>it out from there.

...or, if you absolutely have no idea, use general "distribution"
component and hope that person responsible for this component will
reassign your bug to proper component/person.

As for the bug interdependencies, there are several mechanisms in
bugzilla for dealing with that.

1. Duplicates. If two bugs are the same (almost the same), one can be
marked as a DUPLICATE for the other.
2. References in comments. One can just write smth like "this bug is
probably related to bug #123456", and bugzilla will create a hyperlink
to bug #123456 from that text.
3. Dependencies. A bug can depend on another bug to be fixed, and
bugzilla has a mechanism to enter and use this info.

PS if developers don't react to the bug during some long time, one
reason can be is bug description is not clear. It may be too small and
lacking details, or it may be too long and hard-to-read. Sure, there are
many other reasons. In any case, you can always add _non-offensive_
comment to the bug in question, asking that more info can you provide
(or actually providing some more info on bug if you feel you have it).
It also serves as a "developer ping".