Firefox as default browser in Fedora

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri Feb 13 22:49:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:12:29PM -0500, Toshio wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 11:48, Steve Bergman wrote:
> > I understand that it is not a cut and dried decision.  The two things
> > that jump out at me with regards to the majority of users, i.e.
> > nontechnical or home users, are consistency of the interface and the
> > ability to install java, flash, etc. by themselves.
>
> In this vein, I think the number one thing a web browser has to be able
> to do is browse content on the web.  This isn't limited to having
> plugins for multimedia, but also web pages that use browser specific
> features or disallow you from accessing because they determine your
> browser is incompatible.  My bank was willing to fix their settings
> after I explained how Mozilla was the successor to Netscape and thus
> would inherit a substantial user base.  I could probably use the same
> arguments successfully for Firefox (once blessed).  I doubt I could do
> the same for Epiphany or Galeon.

That shouldn't be necessary. For all web purposes, epiphany and firefox are
mozilla:

epiphany: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040116
Epiphany/1.0.7"

firefox: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040207
Firefox/0.8"

Besides, they shouldn't be blocking from UA...

Regards,
Luciano Rocha