failure generating bootdisk.img: kernel-BOOT is too big

Rodrigo Parra Novo rpn at netmonks.org
Wed Feb 18 14:22:28 UTC 2004

   Greetings,

   while making changes on Fedora Core 1, I needed to recompile the
kernel-* packages, to change a few drivers, needed by a customer of
mine.

   But when I attempt to create the installation bootdisk (so my
customer can install Fedora with the new drivers), upd-instroot bombs
saying there is no enough space on bootdisk.img.

   Checking all changes I've made, I noted that my new kernel-BOOT has a
vmlinuz which is about 8KB bigger than the older one.

   So here is my question: anyone knows a few safe switches I can
disable on the kernel-BOOT build, to regain this extra space used by the
new drivers? (this space must be taken from stuff in the kernel itself,
not modules)

   Thanks in advance,

   Rodrigo