RFC: Tripwire name change

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 09:57:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:22:47 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:

> Keith G. Robertson-Turner said:
>> Anyway, I'll wait a few days, then if there are no major issues, I'll go
>> ahead and change the name of the Tripwire package (actually it's done
>> already, I just haven't posted to bugzilla yet).

> It seems like an extremely ugly way to avoid the specspo problem.  If this
> package needs a name change to avoid it, that would mean that this is an
> acceptable solution for other packages too.  There MUST be a better way.
> Perhaps...
>
> BuildConflicts: specspo
> Conflicts: specspo
>
> ... Yeah I am half kidding... but you think of a better solution.

Actually specspo is not a BuildConflicts ... it has no effect at build
time. Post build, the querying of either the uninstalled RPM or the
installed package, is hijacked by specspo (%SUMMARY and %DESCRIPTION only
AFAICT).

Seems a bit rough to deny everyone their locale catalogs of the RPM
database, just for the sake of Tripwire. I mean, it doesn't bother me, but
there's bound to be some non-English speakers that would miss it.

As a temporary measure ... hmmm, maybe. I just feel awkward about
nominating Tripwire as the "Angel of Death" for specspo ;-|
It's a bit cheeky, isn't it? Maintainer changes package summary; another
package causes problem as a result; solution ... kill the other package.

No, I don't like it, but it might come to that.

I wish we had a voting system.

-
K.