Athlon Incompatible Packages

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 06:19:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:53:13AM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

> Why do gentoo users make such a huge deal out of this?

Most simply put, because they can. It is a geek thing, actually I like the
concept as an excercise... But beyond that, the amount of time for arch
specific builds is extensive and performance is actually worse
in some cases...

> Would you be interested in adding the athlon arch if everything builds
> correctly? I can check all those packages. Basically, I am interested to
> know whether the packages in question really do *require* i386 and i386
> only to work correctly, or whether simply nobody has checked (or cares)
> whether this will work when compiled for athlon...

Personally I would have no interested in adding the arch, in all honesty, I
would be very surprised if it made any difference at all in ability to
build.  It would take a rather specific bug in the code to trigger an
athlon only error for build. All of the listed packages should build just
fine.  I am sure if a package maintainer were interested, they would add
it.  There is a big difference between adding the x86 equivs and some other
arch.  The former generally works... the later can break at times.

Justin