Prelink success story :)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Feb 26 16:31:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 13:30, Dag Wieers wrote:

> > > Basically, currently it _does not matter_ whether you use %buildroot or
> > > $RPM_BUILD_ROOT because neither one is deprecated. Just don't use both at
> > > once.
> >
> > Be careful Michael, you're now questioning official fedora.us policy.
>
> Shrug, he's not alone in that. I was against *mandating* $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
> instead of %{buildroot} all the way and still am (simply because
> %{buildroot} is faster to type and also mixes better with all the
> %{_libdir} macros and such visually), and there were/are others as well.

I know you were and I've seen more people against that policy than in
favor of it on the mailinglist.

> OTOH that's what a community project is about: you get to express your
> opinion and vote, doesn't mean your vote is the one that counts.
> Compromises, in other words.

Well, I'd like to see the votes again ;)

As my impression was that decisions were made on IRC and/or mainly based
on expressions by a famous Red Hat developer I dare not mention ;)

We've got some others like the infamous 'Epoch must be included even if
zero' decision, or the 'Source-tag may not have macros' decision, or the
'We dont like to mix repositories' decision and countless others.

In the end I think those people that cared, didn't vote anymore. I know I
didn't.