Macros in Source fields (was: Re: Prelink success story :))

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Feb 27 04:36:13 UTC 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 8:30 pm, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Is an URL which contains macros still an URL? What do you do with an URL
> that contains macros? You can't cut'n'paste it into a browser, because it
> contains macros. So why include protocol, hostname and path in Source
> fields at all? How does the packager fetch a new release? Does he visit
> the web page from bookmarks? Or does he reconstruct a valid URL from
> the macros?

I have always used the pseudo-URL form as a reminder of where to get the
source for PostgreSQL.  It's not a true URL, and mine do contain macros.  And
will continue to contain macros.  Not that I need much of a reminder anyway,
since the URL in the spec is not how I get the source, since the real path
via scp is not the URL. :-)
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology