Buglet list from FC2t1

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Feb 27 22:38:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 14:46, Peter Backlund wrote:

> - Rhythmbox opens mp3 by default, but has no license problem dialogue.

* committed rhythmbox-devel at gnome.org--2004/rhythmbox--main--0.6--patch-21

I solved this in the 0.6 branch by simply not advertising the
audio/x-mp3 MIME type in rhythmbox.applications if it was compiled
without MP3 support.

Solving it in 0.7 is harder, because we use GStreamer to dynamically
load and play files.  So as soon as you install say a GStreamer mp3
plugin, you get Rhythmbox support for it.  But as far as I can see, bthe
gnome-vfs .applications framework is entirely static. There's no way for
Rhythmbox to start advertising e.g. audio/x-mp3 support only if you have
the GStreamer plugin.

It's a very messy layer-crossing problem.  A start at solving it
correctly might be to have an application include in its .applications:

mime_types_dynamic=rhythmbox --list-mime-types

This would generate the keys at runtime, and then we'd need a program to
go through all the applications and cache the output of the dynamic mime
types listings.

But even then it's difficult to implement --list-mime-types in
Rhythmbox, because
1) GStreamer presently has no way to enumerate which audio MIME types it
supports
2) GStreamer MIME types and GNOME MIME types may not necessarily
correspond

Yeah, it's a messy problem...ideas welcome!