Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Peter Robinson peterr at opensystems.net.au
Sat Jan 3 01:53:46 UTC 2004

>> I would like to see more of an emphasis on the "Core" part of the project, it
>> would be nice if Fedora Core 2 could be released with just 1 or 2 installation
>> CD images.
>
> Until Fedora Extras really gets going, there's not really *that* much
> stuff that can be moved out.  It's certainly possible to do a 2-CD binary
> distribution (I've done it), but you're trimming more than just fat.
> Basically, all the really crufty stuff is also the small stuff.
>
> The easiest way to trim the most space is to remove a desktop, by
> far. But I don't think that's very practical for Core right now. More
> people want more desktops rather than less. :)

Is it possible to put all the gnome stuff on 1 cd and all the kde stuff on another
and say if you want a gnome only install download cd 1 and cd 2 if you want a kde
only install download cd 1 and 3 if you want to mix and match download all three?
I'm not sure what the package size split between the two desktops and other generic
stuff. Or alternatively have it so a standard install (no selection of packages
other than default) or maybe a desktop/woorkstation install only uses the first two
disks so that people have the option of a third disk that has all the not so used
packages on it such as possibly all the language packs, not used often services such
a nis/news/etc

I'm not sure how this would work with such things a dependancies etc for things like
dicitionaries etc. It would also be nice to have an option in the installer for
languages you want supported on a particular system. Sort of like these are the
languages we support which do you want allowing easy removal during the install of
things like Canna/FreeWnn/various language dictionaries etc. So you can do a full
install just for English/Spanish/Whatever without getting the language stuff for
other languages.

Just my thoughts
Peter

Peter