2.6 kernel on devel

Peter Robinson peterr at opensystems.net.au
Sat Jan 3 05:35:09 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I've been playing around with the current devel/rawhide on a spare build box I have
lying around and have a few queries. In general quiet impressesed with it especially
for an alpha stage distro.

The box I have is a pretty generic PIII 800 coppermine with a aic7xxx SCSI card and
disk, intel pro 100 nic and a radeon 7200 AGP video card. All work nicely.

The couple of problems I've run into is support for a Stallion Multiport serial card.
Are there any plans to compile the drivers for the not so standard multiport boards
into the FC2 kernel? We have a large number of customers that still use systems with
either stallion or specialix boards with terminals printers or modems attached for
things ranging from faxing to dialup to pos systems that are either running on RHL
or that other x86 unix that we're planning on moving to RHEL or Fedora (most cases
will probably be fedora) that will needing these drivers and I'd prefer not to have
to compile custom kernels.

The other problem I seem to be having with this machine with the FC2 devel is that
when I walk away from it for extended periods (over night) it suspends and doesn't
seem to recover. The monitor has suspend on the LCD and I can't seem to wake it up.
Its a reasonably oldish board and hence on boot the kernel states that due to bios
age that ACPI is disabled. I'm not really sure how to go about testing this.

Peter