include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Thomas Munck Steenholdt tmus at get2net.dk
Tue Jan 6 14:48:08 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:06:47 -0600, Steven Pritchard wrote:
>
>> [...] I think you can safely assume that the
>> packages that are there are good.
>
> "Good" is rather vague. An approved and published package which works for
> the packager and at least one reviewer may have issues for someone who
> installs a package and expects a completely preconfigured ready-to-run
> piece of software which doesn't need any manual configuration steps.

I have to agree completely with Steven on this one...

Now that I have heard som much good about the quality about the packages
at fedora.us, i decided to try to yum the packages for clamav onto my
test system... Let me just say that those packages are certainly not of
a quality that can even begin to compare against what we're used to from
the core packages... A core package can safely be assumed to install
cleanly. It will have it's init scripts added to the chkconfig setup,
provide a decent default configuration file that can be modified slightly
to fit the users needs and if the package includes a daemon it can then
be started with a "service foo_service start" command.

Neither is the case with the clamav packages from fedora.us. First of all
a number of manual customizations has to be made in order to start the
daemon... including installing the default conf file, adding init scripts
and a lot of other things...

This is not how things should work, and that was the feeling I had of the
non-core distros, when I suggested to include an antivirus package in the
core distribution.

I'm not afraid to do stuff on my own, but having to do so post-install
customization just to get stuff started really kinda defeat the purpose of
rpm and all our repository tools like yum and apt. It's nice that we can
quickly install a needed package - but if we need to spend half an hour
configuring the blasted thing before it will even start, we might just
as well have downloaded the tarball and compiled the stuff from scratch.
for a comparison (for those of you trying to install clamav from fedora.us)
check out the package made by Petr Kristof
http://crash.fce.vutbr.cz/crash-hat/1/clamav/ those are packages so much
nicer that the fedora.us ones.

If package-quality is going to be like this for the extras, I don't think
that extras will be very successful or even useful.

As a note, please notice that the clamav packages are te only ones I've
tried from fedora.us, and I'm in no way trying to insult the many skilled
developers maintaining packages on fedora.us.

Something has to be done to improve the quality of those packages for
"extras"

Thomas