outdated packages in rawhide

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jan 9 12:16:46 UTC 2004

Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> no big differece from latest report of last month:
>
> package        latest rawhide
> -------       ------- -------
> fetchmail       6.2.5   6.2.0
> freetype        2.1.7   2.1.4
> gettext        0.13.1  0.12.1
> gkrellm        2.1.24  2.1.21
> gnumeric        1.2.4   1.2.1
> groff            1.19  1.18.1
> jfsutils        1.1.4   1.1.3
> ImageMagick  5.5.7-15   5.5.6
> less              381     378
> lilo           22.5.8  21.4.4
> lvm*            1.0.8   1.0.3
> man             1.5m2    1.5k
> openssh       3.7.1p2 3.6.1p2
> openssl        0.9.7c  0.9.7a
> parted          1.6.6   1.6.3
> squirrelmail    1.4.2   1.4.0
> tcpdump         3.8.1   3.7.2
> util-linux       2.12   2.11y

Please add netatalk to this list.  Rawhide has 1.5.5-9, but latest is
1.6.x.  1.6.x implements the latest version of the AFP over TCP/IP
protocol that MacOS X talks natively.  It allows features like
disconnect & automatic reconnect.  Otherwise BAD THINGS happen to Mac
clients when they disconnect & reconnect.

netatalk 1.6.x is ahead of both Microsoft and Novell's AFP over TCP/IP
support.  I had been using it at a school here for months and it works
quite well.

Unfortuately the netatalk related kernel module has been added to
kernel-unsupported last I checked, so does this mean that netatalk is
set for deprecation?  Contrary to what many non-Mac people think, AFP is
NOT that weird old AppleTalk that didn't use TCP/IP.  It is a modern
protocol now that works quite well for Macs.  In my experience, with the
exception of AFP routing [1], netatalk is much easier to manage than
Samba, and with far fewer problems.

Warren

[1]
netatalk works OUT OF THE BOX for most people with full capability...
unless you have multiple interfaces that you want it to talk on.  Then
it is extremely difficult to figure out because of its extremely poor
documentation, and the fact that I know nothing about the AFP protocol.
  Anyhow...