Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Jan 9 17:05:45 UTC 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 11:55 pm, Chris Adams wrote:
> I'll chime in with seth here: most mirrors probably don't result in
> bandwidth bills.

That is a two-edged sword.  While on one hand it's nice that mirrors don't
necessarily cost much to operate, which means there are more mirrors; on the
other hand if mirrors had to pay metered rates they would be more receptive
to user bandwidth concerns.  But that's not the main point.  It seems that
the people who can do something about the user problem don't care to do so.
Ok.

In my case, I am careful with my bandwidth due to the stipulations on the
grants that paid for it.

> upgrade it some, but I can't really; it is screwball hardware that I
> can't find RAM for anymore (anyone got 128MB SIMMs for an Intergraph
> 625R?).

If I had any I'd be glad to send them your way.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology