QA process was Re: RPM submission procedure

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Fri Jan 9 17:33:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:13:13 +0200 (EET), Panu Matilainen wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:54:51 +0200 (EET), Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >
> > > The fact that you need two such
> > > users outside of "trusted developers" to get the package *anywhere*
> > > doesn't do much to encourage people to do QA because it feels like totally
> > > wasted effort since the package isn't still moving.
> >
> > But if the first reviewer has done most of the work already, a second
> > review can be like a piece of cake. Or is everyone waiting for someone
> > else to be the early bird?
>
> Sure it's a piece of cake, but *somebody* has to do it. If you look at the
> average package in fedora.us QA queue there are *very* esoteric packages
> in there.. in many cases you'll be lucky to find just that one person who
> understands/is interested enough to learn what the package is about *and*
> willing to do the few steps of QA review.

And there are no two users who can build and test-drive such packages?

I mean the packager does the low-level stuff. And the more "esoteric" a
package is, the more familiar he ought to be with it, shouldn't he?  It
would just need an "okay" from two users that the built software works and
that the included sources have been verified with any available
signatures, trusted sources, via diffs, with confirmation from upstream
authors or other ways. We should not assume that every packager's work
needs to be verified at a low level. Actually some packagers get it right
from the early beginning. Other even stick very close to the spec
template. Whether the software works and whether upgrades don't result in
regression, is much more important. Such QA can be and should be performed
by actual users of a given piece of software. Let packagers and users
team up. There are no users? Ugh. Then who cares? Let the package
rest in peace until someone steps up who's interested in it.

> > With regard the notion of "untrusted/trusted developers", I favour the
> > concept of giving "untrusted developers" the chance to take responsibility
> > early by relying on their review. That means, if there's a package request
> > ticket with a PUBLISH vote, I assume the stuff has been reviewed actually,
> > so let's apply some of the mandatory sanity checks only, skim over the
> > rest and get it published, taking the first "untrusted" review into
> > account.  Heck, if that first review was half-hearted, there's still the
> > PENDING step, and the packager shouldn't "sleep" either and be somewhat
> > familiar with a package, too, before it is approved.
>
> I agree - but the way it's expressed in our current policies doesn't come
> out sounding like that. At least to me, the policy sounds basically like
> "you have to do the same checks the other guy did" meaning pretty
> redundant and boring work somebody already did... So if others agree, we
> should at least rephrase the "publish vote from two untrusted developers"
> to something which expresses what you say above better than the current
> policy.

But we don't have a complete and accurate list of what must be included in
a package approval, other than MD5 checksums of source tarballs and
src.rpm, e.g. as mentioned here
http://www.fedora.us/wiki/PackageSubmissionQAPolicy

So how do you know what exactly a reviewer has reviewed? He could post
checksums, vote for publish and be done. Sure, the QA checklist is
available. But it's incomplete and includes steps not needed for many
packages. Turns out it really only needs two people to approve a
package. If no two people have interest in a package, can we expect that
there would be any users of a published binary package? Would they submit
bug reports or move on to another source of prebuilt package in case of
problems?

> > *Sometimes* the packager does most of the QA already, anyway.
> >
> > > I've been lobbying lowering the entry bar to testing/unstable for a while
> > > now... Stable repository should IMHO remain basically as it is, eg you
> > > can't get your package there until it's seen a full QA review under
> > > current rules. However allowing just one "untrusted" developer QA review
> > > to get package into testing or unstable would at least give people the
> > > feeling that their effort is valuable and actually helps.
> >
> > Bears the problem that people would be entirely satisfied with getting
> > their packages published in testing/unstable easily and don't care to get
> > them into "stable". It shouldn't end like RHContrib, but it would be
> > worth a try: +1
>
> Oh, I certainly don't want another RH contrib. I want to *lower* the bar
> to get packages out in the field, not remove it :) People are not going to
> be satisfied by just getting their packages into testing/unstable but it's
> a *start* - it's much easier to get users to test something they don't
> have to build themselves.

Hence my old suggestion that packagers offer not just src.rpms but also
prebuilt rpms *if* users show interest in helping to approve them. Whether
you trust such packages or not, is up to you.

The problem I see is that if nobody cares to get a new package published,
he does not care about submitting bug reports either. He rather will be
found bitching in some message board about the non-working packages found
in some repository and offering his own packages from private web space.

> How the actual move happens from testing to
> stable.. I don't know really, certainly it shouldn't be of the form "if
> nobody complains in 10 days move it a level upwards". We've had the
> discussion a few times, always non-conclusive, as to how to actually use
> the stable/testing/unstable structure beyond what the packager originally
> asks for. Just an off-the-cuff idea: if one trusted, or two untrusted
> developers vote a package ready to move to "upwards" it should be moved ?

There's no way to avoid a voting based system IMO. Again, if you care for
a "free" distribution, you support it somehow, at least with feedback and
bug reports.