replacing MTRG with cricket

shane at geeklords.org shane at geeklords.org
Sat Jan 17 02:14:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Jef Spaleta wrote:

> Sigh......put simply...as it stands now..if you can't convince the
> specific Red Hat developer in charge of maintaining the MRTG package
> that cricket is better alternative and its worth their time to stop
> packaging MRTG and start maintaining cricket yer just wasting time
> arguing about it here in a public forum. And if you can't find someone
> interested in maintaining in as part of fedora.us right now as an add-
> on...snowball's chance yer going to find someone qualified and
> interested in maintaining it in Core.   If you want to see it in the
> distro, package it up, put it in fedora.us and show its worth
> maintaining.  The more people building and maintaining high quality
> packages, the more high quality package choices there are. And don't
> confuse high quality applications...with high quality packaging...
> packaging itself can be a non-trivial use of time.

My intent was to judge interest in cricket and to gather feedback as to
its place in Fedora and secondly to to determine what place MRTG would
have if cricket was included.

I don't have any problem spending the time packaging cricket up and
maintaining it, but doing so without any feedback as to its eligibility in
fedora seemed silly.

> Everyone interested in getting package foo into Core as a replacement
> for package bar are wasting a lot of time and bandwidth  jabbering on
> this list about it, right now...Fedora Extras does not formally exist...

It was my understanding that these type of discussions were totally
relevant to this list, was I mistaken if so I must of missed the memo.

Shane.

--
"Given enough time, all legal battles in the tech industry will invoke the
DMCA. This generally means that all constructive arguments have ended."