FC2 devel/i386 vs VIA EPIA boards

Iain Wade iwade at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 19 23:09:25 UTC 2004

> By the way, as long as the versions of RPM are compatible (ie create
> identical databases) you can always install to a mounted disk using
> # rpm --root /mnt/disk -I *.rpm
>
> If you have the rpmdb installed and /etc/rpm/macro* configured correctly
> you can install a base system adding --aid to the above command and
> specifying an rpm. Installing kernel.rpm like this will render a minimal
> setup without rpm (< 200MB), installing rpm.rpm with --aid will be close
> to a "minimal install" as provided by the installer.
>
> # rpm --root /mnt/disk -I --aid rpm-4*.rpm

I never knew about --aid, that seems pretty cool.

If you want to install what anaconda would, you can use yum's groupinstall
action which will actually use the comps.xml for group information.

# yum --installroot=/mnt/disk groupinstall Base

I also use the following RPM macros to help shrink the install down.

# cat >~/.rpmmacros <<EOF
%_install_langs C
%_excludedocs 1
EOF

If space is of concern, I found install_langs to be the best space saver
as it doesn't install all the non-needed language files in glibc-common.
I believe this is what anaconda will do also. excludedocs is obvious.

Regards,
--Iain