FC 1 - Update to kernel 2.4.24 planned?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Jan 22 22:29:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 16:53, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> >
> > Is an update to kernel 2.4.24 planned?
>
> No. I've outlined the reasons several times on the lists before.
> Basically, most of the important bits in .23, .24 and .25pre are
> backported already.

Unfortunatly not all of them. A 2.4.23 kernel build from plain sources did
not break down on USB-serial. At Red Hat 8 I backported the relevant stuff
from 2.4.23pre7 to 2.4.22 and it worked fine.

But the latest Fedora core kernel still has an issue with usb serial as is
logged under bugzilla id #112806

Perhaps Greg can check if the backport for usb serial is done correctly?

It looked rather like the way I did it myself on Red Hat 8 but I am no
programmer and I may be overlooking something that might solve this (and
propably a few other) bugzilla item(s).

Hugo.

    hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.