fonts-bengali added to Fedora Core

Jamil Ahmed jamil at billcoms.com
Sat Jan 24 05:15:09 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Owen Taylor" <otaylor at redhat.com>
To: <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Cc: "Jamil Ahmed" <jamil at ssl-idt.net>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 10:59 PM
Subject: fonts-bengali added to Fedora Core

> I've now created a fonts-bengali-0.1.noarch.rpm for Fedora Core 2:
>
>  http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/tmp/fonts-bengali/
>
> I'm not sure that we'll get it squeezed into Test 1, but
> it will definitely be there for Test 2. Please give the
> package a look and let me know if you find any problems.
>
> Comments:
>
>  * Currently it packages only MuktiNarrow, since I was told
>    that was the most desirable font to include. In terms
>    of including other fonts, the guidelines would be as
>    said earlier "each font should be justified as serving
>    a different purpose".
>
>  * Since it likely will contain other fonts in the future,
>    I gave it a version of '0.1' rather than matching the
>    upstream '0.94' for MuktiNarrow. I used a low 0.1 to
>    provide for future flexibility.
>
>  * I've named it 'fonts-bengali' to correspond to the convention
>    we are now following; see fonts-arabic, fonts-hebrew.
>
>  * I went with 'bengali' rather than 'bangla' since bengali
>    is the most commonly used English name for the language
>    and script, and the package names are in English.

Ahh - ok - no problems :-)

>    Examples of the use of 'bengali'
>
>     http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=BNG
>     http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html
>     http://www.unicode.org/charts/
>     http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/bengalot/default.htm
>
>    I know some native users prefer 'Bangla', but I think
>    using 'bengali' in the package name will keep confusion
>    to a minimum.
>
> Sorry for the delay in getting to this, and thanks to Jamil
> for his persistance in bugging me about it.

Btw- the MuktiNarrow font looks ugly when you enable hinting (I think..).

This can be avoided by inserting the following lines in
/etc/fonts/local.conf

        <match target="font">
                <test name="family">
                        <string>Mukti Narrow</string>
                </test>
                <edit name="hinting">
                        <bool>false</bool>
                </edit>
        </match>

I can send in a comparative rendering screenshot if required.
Can this be done with the RPM?

Thanks,
`Jamil