problems with today's rawhide

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sun Jan 25 22:50:57 UTC 2004

On Jan 25, 2004, Warren Togami <warren at togami.com> wrote:

> useradd from a root console, then passwd setting a password worked for
> me.

You sure you didn't disable selinux before that?  Running passwd with
selinux enabled didn't let root change another user's password, and if
I su to my own account first, then passwd won't even start properly.
Looks like some more selinux policy tweaking is needed for this all to
work.

After adding selinux=0 to the boot command line, I was able to log in
as before.

However, I had trouble to log out after a GUI log in.  Clicking on the
log out icon I had on the task bar causes the taskbar (or WM?) to
freeze, such that I can't do anything useful in that X session.
Ditto for Ctrl-Alt-Del.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace works and terminates the X
session.  So I log in again, notice that the icons are now all
different from those in the previous session (it seems like I got the
default Gnome icons in the first log in, and another, new theme in the
second log in).  When I click on the red fedora, only the last 5
options are available (from Run Applications to Log out).  The first
block of options simply isn't there.  Ugh.  I can't tell whether this
is a problem with migrating settings from FC1 or menus are just
missing, but either case is bad.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}