umount filesystems crach...

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 09:21:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:58:14 +0100 (CET)
MG <makgab at freemail.hu> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Sometimes when I shutdown the system, then crach the linux. I have to reset the
> machine. :(
> The shutdown process freezes at umount filesystems. Why?
>
> The "/etc/fstab":
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,user,uid=500,showexec 0 0
> /dev/hda4               /mnt/hda4               vfat
> auto,user,uid=500,showexec 0 0
> /dev/hdc1               /mnt/hdc1               vfat
> auto,user,uid=500,showexec 0 0
> /dev/hdc2               /mnt/hdc2               ext3    auto 1 1
> /dev/hdd1               /mnt/hdd1               ext3    noauto 0 0
> /dev/cdrw               /mnt/cdrw               iso9660
> noauto,user,uid=500,ro,showexec 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,user,uid=500,showexec 0 0
> /dev/scd0               /mnt/scd0               iso9660
> noauto,user,uid=500,showexec 0 0
> /dev/scd1               /mnt/scd1               iso9660
> noauto,user,uid=500,showexec 0 0
> /dev/sda4               /mnt/usb                vfat
> noauto,user,uid=500,showexec 0 0
> maros.intranet.domain.hu:/NEWDATA    /mnt/nfs/NEWDATA        nfs
> noauto,bg       0
> maros.intranet.domain.hu:/NEWAPPS    /mnt/nfs/NEWAPPS        nfs
> noauto,bg       0
> maros.intranet.domain.hu:/NEWHOME    /mnt/nfs/NEWHOME        nfs
> noauto,bg       0
> host004.intranet.domain.hu:/usr/local/utils/nfs      /mnt/localnfs   nfs
> noauto,bg       0
>

> Bye!
> Gabor

What are your system spec's ?
I have a p4c800-e dlx Motherboard
atapi cdrom on /dev/scd0
lite on dvdrw LDW 4115 on /dev/hdc
HP psc 2210 on /dev/sda

The only 'failures' i get in /var/log/messages are:
hub.c: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled

Yet I have the same problem as you, once every 5-10 times I
power down, the system hangs on 'unmounting file system'
I can't seem to get any errors on this after I reboot either.
Its a duel boot machine but I crash more often then I mount
a FAT partition. My /etc/fstab doesn't have any NFS either.

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/tmp              /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hdb7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

See anything? I don't.