VIA EPIA-M + 2.6.0 + Fedora Core 1

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Jan 1 17:53:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 06:30:49PM +0100, Tony Grant wrote:
> 1. I was burned by module loading. How do I get modules to load? By
> modifying /etc/rc.sysinit? At the moment I am loading sound and usb by
> hand... The system is still trying to load HID at boot - where is it
> reading that from? I have all the new module tools and converted etc.
> etc. Modules are a mess and the man pages are of no help until they are
> updated.

You need the new module utils. Those include a conversion script.

> 2. Alan, your via_drv.o is working just fine but of course I no longer
> have DRI because the via.o kernel module is no more. Xine runs - plays
> sound but no image of course until I get via + v4l sorted, it does not
> crash on exit which is nice.

2.6.0 + the open source dri/via/* bits from the 2.4.22-ac tree should run with
the VIA libGL/via_dri.so. Ivor Hewitt (www.ivor.it) has patches for the v4l
module the old via stuff uses to replace their binary only bits too, although
again I don't think its been 2.6 ported just yet.

For the pure open source setup the bits of note missing are the mpeg support
(it has Xv but not the slice engine for the VIAxine) and the DRI. I have 3D
beginning to work now but some real problems left with fallbacks and locking
to debug yet

Alan