Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Fri Jan 2 18:48:48 UTC 2004

Maurice F. Piller wrote:
> I would like to see more of an emphasis on the "Core" part of the
> project, it would be nice if Fedora Core 2 could be released with just
> 1 or 2 installation CD images.

I seriously doubt you could drop 650 Megs worth of packages out of Core
without seriously pissing off a sizable part of the current userbase.
I'm sure you could probably find some reasonable agreement about
specific crufty redundant packages that 90%+ of the userbase don't care
about...but thats not going to add up to a cd's worth of data.

And frankly... until there is an official Fedora Extras/Alternatives up
and running ANY disccussion about wholesale redistribution of the
distribution is a bit premature.

Want to work towards a more realistic goal? How about you gather up all
the people who keep trying to stitch together the idea of making the
concept of refining a 'minimal' install via a better organization of the
comps file. That thread comes up again and again...and seems to go
nowhere. I've still not seem a community submitted comps file show up on
this list that I can test by rerolling iso images.

> Any interest in producing a live CD version a la Knoppix?
Yes there is interest....but the question of the usefulness of an
official Fedora live cd is a question. An official fedora livecd MUST be
made up of only official bits and pieces. No ntfs support for example.
In fact, Dirk Westfal is already working on an un-official derivative
livecd based on fedora:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-December/msg00002.html

Ive said this before...I'd personally rather see work on in-distro tools
to help people create their own live cds based on fedora, then an
official fedora livecd. I'm sure an official fedora livecd could be
built, but frankly I really don't know what people would use it for,
instead of using knoppix/gnoppix or Dirk's livecd. Considering the
non-technical constraints fedora has to live under, an official fedora
livecd couldn't have the same level of functionality out of the box that
other livecds have (multimedia support and ntfs being the primary usage
issues.)  I'd rather see work on an easy to use tool, for people to
create their own customized livecds from a master fedora install...that
seems to me to be the best way to encourage usage and experimentation.

-jef