Proposal: rpm-4.2.2 should refuse to build as root

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 20:19:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 15:36, Willem Riede wrote:
> On 2003.12.31 10:09, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > Building rpm's as root IS incredibly bad idea which should be discouraged.
> > Even worse when no buildroot is used - once you've seen a package
> > which (re)moves stuff in /usr/lib during build...
>
> True. But, the spirit of *nix is "Here's a rope. Now, you can do useful things
> with it, or you can hang yourself with it. Up to you."

So make it by default refuse to build (or otherwise deal with SRPMS) as
root, but have an override option or macro to allow it.

I assume that the dev (as in /dev) packages etc build as non-root - long
ago (I'm probably talking RH6.x or previous) you needed root to build
these.

	Nigel.

--
Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk>