Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jan 3 06:07:29 UTC 2004

> Are HTTP 1.1 pipelining or connection recycling two options worth
> considering? From what I recall, not only they weren't supported in
> RH9/FC1, Anaconda also performed a DNS lookup before attempting each and
> every package download - at least with kickstart installations. That
> might be addressed either by caching the IP manually in Anaconda or
> having nscd running during installation (overkill?).

I think it'd be cool if a lot of the installations tools could
eventually use something like urlgrabber for getting pkgs, etc.

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/mini/urlgrabber/

yum uses it now and some enhancements have been going on to it to make
it prettier than it is now. It supports keepalives now and should be
able to support byte-ranges and therefore regets which could be fairly
handy.

-sv